Veggie Soba Noodle Bowl


I've mentioned our veg box on the blog a few times already. I hope I am not going to bore you dear readers but I'm going to mention it again. You see it really does have a huge impact on how I cook, as I'm sure as many of you guys who have a veg box (or indeed don't!) already know. It certainly keeps me on my toes. I love not knowing what we are going to get each week and getting lovely surprises like a bunch of fresh asparagus or the first crunchy yellow courgettes (still waiting for those this year). Those sorts of beautiful ingredients make cooking a yummy dinner a doddle.

However, as our box scheme does everything possible to source from local and organic farmers, sometimes the contents can be a little bit more challenging, particularly when we are in what's called the hungry gap as we are at the moment. Whilst I love spring greens, carrots, pak choi and mushrooms, sometimes it can be tricky to think of a way to pep up the third glut of brassica's lurking a the back of the fridge!

So when I find a super easy recipe like this that can use up any number of odd bits of persistent veg I am a happy bunny. Its pretty simple really, just saute your veggies (I used pak choi here) with a good dose of ginger and chilli and serve up with dressed soba noodles and any accompaniments you like. I love sliced avocado, edamame and crispy shallots but you could try some cold fried tofu, leftover cooked prawns/meat etc., kimchi or pickled ginger or anything else you might fancy! Don't be put off by the list of ingredients, most of them go into the dressing, which will probably make more than you need but is great on a salad.

Veggie Soba Noodle Bowl
Serves 2

2 servings of soba noodles

Dressing
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp caster sugar
Pinch chilli flakes
1 small garlic clove crushed (optional)

1 thumb sized piece of ginger, grated
Half a red chilli (or to taste), finely sliced
Selection of vegetables of your choice (pak choi, spring greens, chard, mushrooms etc.)

To serve
Sliced Avocado
Steamed edamame beans
Crispy Shallots
Toasted sesame seeds

Cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions, drain and refresh in cold water, drain again. Coat the noodles in the dressing (you may not need it all).

Heat a frying pan or wok until smoking hot, add a splash of vegetable oil and the ginger and chilli, stirring quickly to stop it burning. Then add the vegetables and saute for a minute or two until just cooked but still with some bite.

Divide the noodles between two bowls, serve the vegetables on the side. Add the avocado, edamame, and crispy shallots or your favoured accompaniments. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and some more dressing.


2 comments: